I’ve been talking to lots of people about what rowing might look like after this pandemic is under control.
Asking people to be really creative, and not hold back. Here are some of the ideas they have thrown out. Some reasonable, some unfathomable?
- Hand washing station at rowing facility, for before and after rowing
- Oar disinfection station, for before and after rowing
- Dedicated microphone for each coxswain, with name on the equipment
- Dedicated oar handle, or complete oar. (It’s rumored that Harry Parker gave each of his rowers an oar to use. Ahead of his time, he was.)
- Quick release shoes, with shoes not shared
- Dedicated Erg handle
- 1/2 rowers in a boat. (An eight would only have 4 rowers, with no stroke. So coxswain, 7,5,3,1)
- Each athlete (including coxswain) would have their own seat top or seat pad
- Remove water fountains, refill stations and athlete bring own water, or bottles supplied
What would you add to this list? Hit me up on the socials and let me (us) know…