Too often people struggle with their rowing equipment, so I created a roadmap that helps them maximize their equipment for confident, reliable performance. – Mike
Max Rigging is the authority resource on rowing and rigging equipment, providing information and guidance to rowing coaches, boatmen, rowers, self-taught individuals, scullers, and more.
Owned and operated by expert rowing coach, Mike Davenport, MaxRigging offers continually fresh content, articles, workbooks, videos, reports, books, and other material related to all aspects of rowing and rigging across any skill level.
Who is this Mike Davenport guy, anyway?
Mike’s rowing equipment experience began when he was a college freshman and tripped over an oar. That’s the moment when he realized that rowing equipment was special, deserving of respect.
Mike went on to become a collegiate coach for 35 years. He was named Mid-Atlantic Rowing Conference (MARC) Coach of the Year in 2013, again for the second time in 2015, and for a third time in 2016. He was also named the National Coach of the Year for Division III by the College Rowing Coaches Association and served as Washington College’s compliance coordinator, as well as Lecturer for a variety of courses.
Mike was part of the U.S. National Rowing Team for two years, as assistant coach to the US Pre-Elite Heavyweight team. He spent the summer of 1991 in Cuba as a team leader for the US Pan American rowing team, and then moved on to be boatman for the 1992-1995 U.S. World Championship teams as well as for the 1996 Olympic Team, who competed in Atlanta, GA.
Mike has authored numerous books on rowing and coaching and is a regular speaker at coaching conferences, workshops, and conventions. He was also an educational consultant for USRowing for a number of years.
Today Mike enjoys teaching busy rowers, distracted coaches, and hassled coxswains about rowing and rigging so they can get the most out of their rowing equipment – and spend more time enjoying themselves on the water. He currently works as the head rowing coach at The Gunston School in Centreville, Maryland.
As an expert consultant, author, and professional speaker, Mike spreads the word about simple and creative ways people can use physical and mental tools or resources to maximize their performance, be faster on the water, save more money, and reduce the stress and strain of dealing with rowing equipment.
In what some call the most equipment-intensive sport there is today, Mike shows rowing athletes and coaches of all levels, from beginner to expert, how to thrive – and he thrives on every moment they say, “Thank you. That helped.”
About Mike: Interviews and Press
- Washington College news: Mike Davenport Top Rowing Coach
- College Recruiting Weekly: Dr. Mike Davenport on College Coaching Life Philosophies
- US Rowing: 3-on-3 with Mike Davenport
- Sparks Journal: A Look Behind the Curtain of College Rowing Selection
- RowPerfect: RowingChat with Mike Davenport
- Mental Fitness Podcast: Why Good Coaches Fail
- Space Saving Rowing Systems: Stop Worrying As A Coach Part 1, Mike Davenport
- VSellis: A World of Wisdom In Mistakes (a.k.a Screwing Up For Fun And Profit)
- Momentum Media, Coaching Management: Ready for Nine
- Athletic Management: By The Rules
- Athletic Management: Top Of Their Games
- NCAA: Caring College Coaches Are Not The Exception